These little macaroons are delicious. Crunchy on the edges, soft in the middle and a nice combination of sweet from the ground almond mixture and sour from the blueberries. I made the recipe up this morning after a lovely and surprisingly warm autumn dog walk for this time of the year with friends and got home with an appetite. I’m feeling a little bit guilty to be honest as I was on my own when making and eating them and managed quite easily to eat four! Oh well we did a four mile walk so a well deserved sweet treat and blueberries are a super food!
You can use golden granulated sugar too, I did this time but usually I use golden caster sugar the only difference being you get a slightly flatter macaroon ( with caster sugar ) . I like using the golden natural unrefined cane sugars, but they are not essential in this recipe.
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 120g ground almonds
- 1 level tbsp plain flour
- 2 medium free range egg whites
- 1 level tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 32 blueberries
- Line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Put the ground almonds, sugar, flour, poppy seeds and lemon zest into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk up the egg white and vanilla extract for about 30 seconds.
- Stir the whisked egg white into the ground almond mixture, making a dough.
- Spoon heaped teaspoonful dollops onto the lined baking tray and top with two blueberries on each.
- Bake for 12 minutes until turning golden brown on the edges.
- Allow to cool.
If you have not got any poppy seeds handy just leave them out and put them in next time!
Lightly whisking the egg whites with the vanilla extract. Use a good quality vanilla extract it really makes a difference to the final flavour of the macaroons.
Lime zest works well too.
I didn’t have any baking parchment left in the kitchen today! so I lightly oiled the baking trays, they did stick a bit but were easier to pry off when completely cooled. So I reccomend you use some baking parchment or non stick silicone baking sheets if possible, making your baking life that little bit easier!
Thank you for dropping by and have a great week!