This is a simple and lovely pudding to make using very few ingredients. Basically a lemon juice, lime juice and zesty sweetened set cream. It can be made the day before its needed. The fresh clementine chunks on the top add a seasonal burst of flavour and the sugared berries and bay leaves add a wonderful frosty festive touch.They look so pretty!
- 600ml double cream
- 130g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract ( optional )
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice and finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 2-3 clementines
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 16 fresh cranberries
- 8 bay leaves
- A little extra caster sugar for coating the cranberries and bay leaves
- Put the cream, vanilla extract ( if using ) and sugar into a heavy based pan, over a medium heat stir until the sugar has dissolved and allow the cream to just come to the boil. Let it bubble gently for 2-3 minutes. Don't let it boil over.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the lemon and lime juice and zest.
- Pour carefully into 6-8 small pots ( you could pour the mixture into a jug to do this ), glasses, ramekins, small tea cups or espresso cups.
- Leave to cool and then put into the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight if poss.
- To make the sugared cranberries, using a small paint brush or pastry brush coat the cranberries with the egg white then roll them in some caster sugar. For the the bay leaves brush the front of the bay leaves with the egg white and sprinkle over the caster sugar and shake off any excess. Put them to one side until needed.
- When ready to serve, using a small sharp knife, slice away the top and bottom of the clementine. Then from the top to the bottom of the clementine cut away strips of the peel making sure you don't take to much of the fruit away as you go. Then just chop the peeled clementine up into small chunks.
Sugaring the Cranberries and Bay leaves with caster sugar makes them look so good. Its as if they have just been covered in a heavy winter frost. You can make these and use them to decorate the top of your Christmas cake and mince pies.