When summer arrives the fragrant garden Roses fill the air with their drifting scent and you just know its the perfect time to preserve their beautiful calming perfume in an array of summer preserves.
There are so many old recipes involving fragrant roses- rose water, rose sugar, crystallised rose petals, rose honey, jam, jelly, vinegar and syrup.
- 250g granulated sugar
- juice and zest of 2 small lemons
- 300ml water
- 10-15 fresh and fragrant garden roses ( perfumed pinks and reds are best)
- Dissolve the sugar in a pan with the water, lemon juice and zest.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, don't allow it to boil.
- Take off the heat.
- Slowly stir in the petals from each flower.
- Leave to infuse overnight in a sterilised jar.
- Strain through muslin.
- Pour into sterilised bottles and keep in the fridge.
- Best used within 6-8 weeks.
Capturing the scent of summer…….